OLYMPIC LEGAL             




What if I die leaving real property in another state?

If at death a person owns real property or owes taxes in another state or nation, it will likely be necessary to open a probate in the state or nation where the property is located to transfer that property to a living person. 

If a Washington probate of the will is opened, then the out-of-state proceeding is called an “ancillary probate.” The Washington personal representative will hire an attorney to help take the steps necessary to transfer or liquidate the foreign real property in the foreign jurisdiction. 

What if I live elsewhere but own real property in Washington?

If a person who resides in another state or nation dies with real property in  Washington state, the Washington court must admit the foreign will to probate if provided with a certified copy of the will and an order admitting the will to probate from the foreign probate court.  Foreign wills admitted to probate in Washington are then governed by Washington law.  

For more information or to schedule a consultation, please contact us at 360.630.3635.